Thursday, December 11, 2008

Let it snow, let it snow



Yay! No school! I'm just as excited as Liam about this. It started sleeting while I was in the pick-up line this afternoon but I didn't expect all this. After having to drag Lane in & out and negotiate an unexpectedly slippery deck I'm glad for the day off tomorrow. Liam and I went out to look at our Christmas lights while it was snowing and then he & Will had a small skirmish that involved some snowballs, not really sure who won that one. I do know that the snow and the Christmas lights were beautiful. Now if it'll just do this on Christmas Eve...

We had to take Lane to see Dr. Fenichel this morning. He had 4 seizures Monday and 2 Tuesday. I assumed he was either getting sick or his weight had caught up with his Keppra dose. I called assuming they'd simply increase his dose over the phone as usual but they wanted to see him. I took him to Dr. Myers yesterday to rule out any infection because this can lower your Keppra threshhold and cause breakthrough seizures. Nothing found. So we went to Vandy still thinking it was a weight thing and they'd bump up the Keppra a little, I was wrong. Dr. Fenichel put him on Phenobarbitol. He was on this in the NICU briefly. It can cause irritability which is the LAST thing I need. It can also have a sedative effect. I don't want this either. Dr. Fenichel did say that if it causes him to be the least bit irritable to chunk it. If it helps, great, if not we'll just stick with what we've got. I wasn't thrilled with adding another med, this makes 5 he takes, but it could be worse. I don't want him to keep seizing, each one has the potential to cause more damage. I'm going to ask Dr. Sharpe his opinion on Monday. Phenobarb has been around forever. It may be effective, but I absolutley cannot have an unhappy Lane, seen too much of that in the past and I won't go back to those days.

Tomorrow I'll give him his 1st dose and see how he does, enjoy the 1st snow day of the year, and hope that enough of this ice is gone by this evening for us to go shopping. It's 14 days & counting till Christmas and I have 2 little boys and o little presents. Not a good combination. For now, I'm going to watch it snow and settle down for a long winter's nap.



1 comment:

Alice said...

Ellen, thank you for your very interesting and descriptive account of the trip that the three of you made. High fives to Liam. alice