Friday, June 26, 2009

I'll try anything to help

I've gone back and forth so many times about whether or not to put Lane thru yet another surgery. I've had my doubts about this pump and it's potential benefits versus overdosing on Baclofen and.. well we won't go there... but here we are, sitting in Vandy's 1st floor waiting area. In a little bit we'll be given a room and Lane's Baclofen trial will officially begin.
Ok, so a little bit turned into 3 hours but we finally got a room on the 8th floor. The physical therapist came in and evaluated him and then the nurse practioner came in to give Lane his epidural injection of Baclofen. Now we wait. Again. The PT came back to re-evaluate him and his numbers (their way of rating the kids' tone) was better. This means the Baclofen was having a positive effect on his tone. Shannon even came up to see if she thought it was making a difference. She's had him since he was 3 months old and knows his tone better than anyone. She felt it was loosening him up even though he was tired and fighting her. The PT came back and evaluated him for the third and final time and his numbers continued to improve. In other words, Lane's trial was a success and he is a candidate to have the pump implanted. Now we just hang out tonight to make sure he doesn't have any adverse reactions to the medicine. What's one more night of my life in Vandy? Have some Taco Bell, talk to the nurses, suffer thru the science channel with Will, try to fit 2 of us on a couch meant for 1, why that almost qualifies as a date! I've spent many a night in this place and truly don't mind it. I do get Will all to myself on days like these. I told ya I can find the good in most anything. That is 1 thing I've learned on this journey. It's part of what got me through our time in the NICU.
I will say that Lane's arms were very loose and he seemed comfortable. Maybe it's worth doing after all. Like I said, I'll try anything to make that sweet baby's life more normal. Although he is anything but normal. He is extraordinary. Thank you God for the challenge and honor of being his mommy. I pray we make the right decisions.

No comments: