Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Really?

I never thought I'd live part of my life twice but last Thursday I did just that. It wasn't exactly the same but eerily similar. Lane woke up at 3:00 screaming. We had a pretty rough night til 6:00 that morning. I thought well we're in for a bad day and went about my routine. I noticed his tummy was tight so I vented him but the tube looked fine. Throughout the day I could tell he was trying to throw up but with the Nissen he can't. Well I'll just give him Pedialyte for the rest of the night I thought. After the 4:00 feeding his shirt became soaked. Will thought his diaper had leaked but it was right over the Mic-key button. I sniffed it and said no, that's formula. I raised his shirt up to find the button protruding out of his tummy with lots of air escaping around it. "We need to change this" I said. Will vented him 1st and the tube overflowed. Will took the Mic-key button out and it started gushing. This is not normal. By this time Lane was having trouble breathing. Will listened to him and took his pulse. His temp. was 100.6. "We need to go" I said. "Call 'em" Will said.
Lane and I took our 3rd ambulance ride together. Recognizing the ER staff is your 1st sign that you have done this way too many times. He was given 2 intraoscular IV's. This is where it goes straight into the bone. He needed fluids and he needed them fast. His blood pressure was dropping and it was the quickest way too get them in him. The OR doc was gracious enough to let us stay while they intubated him. I got to watch and Will told me step by step what they were doing. I love my firefighter/EMT-IV! He was sent for a CT scan which revealed free air and fluid around the tummy. Really? You're telling me he perfed AGAIN? Twice in 3 1/2 years? Really? I just leaned on the table and asked if anyone knew what it was like to live their life twice? This was Oct. of '06 all over again. Except this time I was numb, it was like it was happening to someone else, like I was watching a TV show, especially in the ER. "We going to surgery?" I asked. "yes" the doctor replied. "Let's go" I said and walked off down the hall.
At that exact moment, 4 prayers were lifted up simultaneously by Will, Bill, Jean and myself, "God, please let Dr. Morgan be on call."
We were sent to a waiting room on the 5th floor. The door opens. Walter Morgan, dressed in scrubs, walks in. "There is a God"...

No comments: