Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I had my week all planned out. Lane changed all that. Seizures last Thursday, very low sats and heart rate on Friday, low temps and lots of secretions on Saturday. Trip to Vandy on Sunday. So I was wrong, it wasn't pneumonia or a wide spread infection or RSV. It turned out to be nothing more than a common cold/ flu virus. Easy enough for most people to shake but not my Lane. It required frequent suctioning and being on Oxygen for going on 4 days now. 3 of which were in ICU. Nothing is easy on that kid. Last night after getting to floor he had multiple seizures, which shot his HR up to 180 and required a dose of Atavan. I had to fling the door open in search of help even though the monitors can be read at the desk. Our room is right in front of said desk. He was 1 hour and 40 min. late with his seizure meds. He didn't eat at 7:00. And people wonder why I hate the floor? Oh well, at least he has a mom that knows him and how to care for him. On a positive note we are lucky enough to have Dr. Reiderer. I love him, he understands Lane. Not all of them do. We managed to avoid it for 5 years, but it now looks like we're going home with Oxygen. That's ok, it's just PRN. With the pulse ox, suction machine, nebulizer, Albuterol, Pulmicort, & oxygen maybe I can avoid a few stays, like this one. Besides its just one more thing Morgan will know all about before nursing school. = )
I would like to say that Dr. Sharpe is an awesome neurologist. Lane's Baclofen pump needs refilling. We are supposed to be there today. The NP that usually does it for me when we're in Vandy is no longer here. To avoid a resident filling it, Dr. Sharpe offered to meet us over the weekend to fill it. That says a lot about him and his concern for Lane. Very few docs would do this. I'm so grateful that he would take time out of his weekend to make sure my baby is taken care of properly.
I also want to say a huge thank you to Mandy & Kristi for coming Sunday night and letting me ride home with them. Lane Carter is so spoiled. Mandy wanted him to be her valentine so she came back last night and spent Valentine's with us. I too am spoiled, Brandon & Amy came to see their niece on Monday night and brought us food. Nobody cooks like they do. It is unbelievably delicious! More importantly I got to be with Amy & meet their daughter. These people are very special to me. I've only known them a very short while but I am just drawn to them. They're coming back tonight. Yay!
God doesn't give you the people you want, He gives you the people you need. To help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you the person you were meant to be. This incredible journey has brought many wonderful people into our lives, some for a reason, some for a season and some for a lifetime. Each have played their role according to His will and though I really didn't want to let some of them go, they have quietly bowed out. This makes me sad at times but then I remind myself that all of this is unfolding just as it should. I know Suzi, Mandy, Kristi and now Amy & Brandon are in my life for a reason, I can only pray that it's for a lifetime.

No comments: